Episode 32: iOS 10.3 and Classroom 2.0 with Fraser Speirs
MacAdmins.org Podcast, Episode 32: iOS 10.3 and Classroom 2.0 with Fraser Speirs
This week we welcome iOS Admin/Luminary Fraser Speirs to the pod to talk about the new iOS Admin features in iOS 10.3, Classroom 2.0 with ad-hoc classes, and the future of iOS for admin uses.
- Tom Bridge, Partner at Technolutionary LLC [@tbridge]
- Charles Edge, Director of Professional Services at JAMF Software, That Guy at Krypted.com [@cedge318]
- Pepijn Bruienne, R&D Engineer at Duo Security [@bruienne], Proprietor of EnterpriseMac.Bruienne.com
- Marcus Ransom, Professional Services Manager at Education Advantage, [@marcusransom]
- Adam Codega, IT Administrator [@adamcodega]
- Fraser Speirs, Apple Distinguished Educator & Head of Secondary, Cedars School. [@fraserspeirs]
Links & Notes
- New restrictions
- Limit Wifi to specified networks
- New OS update rules
- No longer requires supervision and DEP, just supervision
- New MDM commands – InstallASAP – starts to nag the user
- Apple Classroom Built In
- MDM-enabled Lost Mode can play sounds
Apple Classroom 2.0
- No longer requires MDM support or supervision on pupil devices
- Ad-hoc handshaking
- Pupils can refuse screen and Airplay control or locking control.
- The notion of a “current class”
- Appears as AirPlay target
- Manual groups in the class also appear
Thoughts on iOS 11
Neil Cybart: The Mac is Turning Into Apple’s Achilles’ Heel
- The world is moving past the Mac whether iOS is ready or not.
- iPad urgently needs to accommodate some proportion of “pro” users
- Article notes that 70% of the Mac user base rarely/never touch a “pro app”.
- These people should be on iOS already.
Future of Workflow?
Whither Sal Soghoian?
Canvas 22: Workflow: The Basics
Canvas 23: Workflow: Variables & Built-In Actions
Canvas 24: Workflow: Third Party Actions
Canvas 25: Workflow: Web APIs
Canvas 26: Workflow: Advanced Workflow Programming
Canvas 27: Workflow: Advance Workflow Programming Part II
Canvas 29: Workflow: Magic Variables
Next steps of Swift Playgrounds
- API expansion already happening (MapKit)
- Aggressively tracking language standard
- Authoring on iOS enhanced in last update (author multi page Playgrounds)
- Needs a UI builder?
- Multi-file project support
- Look to Pythonista
Theft & Loss Recovery
- Encrypted iCloud Backups after iOS 10 are awesome.
- Lost Mode for MDM-capable devices is great (as long as they have cellular or know a lot of Wi-Fi networks)
- Building a trusted system requires that you need not just one great password, but a couple good ones.
- (I always know my Apple ID password, login password, and 2FA Backup passwords, the rest I leave to Keychain)
- Can a password-less future get here soon enough?
1:1 Program History:
The iPad Project: How It’s Going
The iPad Project: Day One
The iPad Project Day Two
The iPad Project Day Six: The Hamiltonian Cycle
The iPad Project: The Night Before Christmas
The iPad Project: What Kind Of Day Has It Been?
Call for Presenters
X World – 29 30 June (CFP open until 24th April)
Aces Conference in Phoenix, AZ May 31 – June 1
MacDevOps:YVR in Vancouver, Canada Jun 4-6 17
MacDeployment in Calgary, Canada Jun 8-9 17
PSU Mac Admins in State College, PA July 11-14
JNUC in Minneapolis, MN October 24-26
Boston’s Spring Meet-up – 19th April
Philly Apple Admins
London Apple Admins @ Sony Music – 20th April
Schiedam, the Netherlands – Dutch Macadmin meetup – April 20, 1:30-4:30
Melbourne Apple Admins – May 4th @ CultureAmp –
Leiden, the Netherlands – May 18th – 6 PM
Rate Us On iTunes!
Sponsor MacAdmins.org Podcast!
If you’re interested in sponsoring the MacAdmins.org Podcast, please email email@example.com for more information.
Get the latest about the Mac Admins Podcast, follow us on Twitter! We’re @MacAdmPodcast!